Sunday, June 10, 2012

On Trend: Skulls

I've been rocking skulls since way before they were trendy. But don't get me wrong -- this isn't a lamentation that they're now ubiquitous; I'm actually stoked. It's now way easier to acquire really badass and gorgeous fashion covered with skulls.

Here is some inspiration for the trend that is actually as timeless as the memento mori it represents!

Jewellery



Tarina Tarantino Classic Skull necklace is $63 on Amazon and comes in lots of different colours. I love this dark one and the mix of girly beads and a bow with the skull.

Another girly skull, Betsey Johnson "Betsey the Vampire Slayer" Rhinestone Skull Ring will definitely make people do a double-take.


I love this ring, which I bought at a local shop in my town, so much that I got the hematite version, too. Spikes and Diamonds? More like Skulls and Diamonds!

I love my turquoise skull bead stretch bracelet. It's so summery and goes great with silver or gold accessories.

Accessories


This take on Alexander McQueen's skull knuckle-duster clutch is everywhere this season. It's a perfect way to add edge to an evening outfit.



Of course, arguably McQueen's most famous skull-related piece inspired scarves like these. They look great with nearly everything -- from a casual day at class or a night out. 


Shoes



These Steve Madden loafers combine two trends in one -- smoking loafers and skulls. Plus they're blinged out! 

Iron Fist is a skull-lover's dream. They have dozens of different options for heels, wedges, platforms, and flats with skulls (and other dark imagery). When I wear my pair of Digi Skull shoes, I get loads of compliments.

Womenswear



Torrid's got lots of plus size options with an edgier look, like this graffitti-inspired skull and rose top


Hot Topic takes the theme of girly skulls a step further and makes a skull entirely out of butterflies.


Alex and Chloe have this top with a heart made from adorable smiling skulls (which is currently on sale!).


This Instagrammer totally rocked Black Milk Clothing's skull dress by wearing it backward with a mesh top over it. I love this look! 


Gypsy Warrior has got these amazing hi-lo skull blouses in ivory and black. 


This Zadig and Voltaire cashmere tank wins the award for most subtle incorporation of a skull.


These skinny jeans from Tripp have skulls on one leg! Split jeans are totally in right now so these are more trend for your dollar.


These skull leggings offer a much subtler skull pattern for your skull-bottomed needs.



What did I miss? What are your favourite skull fashions?

-Caroline

3 comments:

  1. Love skulls but they seem to be a trend that is worn by the younger fashion lover. Are skulls appropriate for the over 50 crowd?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the comment! I'm flattered that you're asking my opinion on the matter :) Personally my view on fashion is that if you feel comfortable in it, you're going to look good in it -- and I think that goes for any age. But I know for sure that there are some kick-ass women rocking skulls after the age of 50!

    Here's Madonna in a skull top: http://www.madonnalicious.com/images/extra/2007/beat_1107.jpg

    Other women around the age of 50 or older who come to mind as wearing edgier clothing are Linda Perry, Meg Mathews, Sharon Osbourne, and Courtney Love, though I couldn't find any specific photos.

    But this is all to say that if someone -- of any age -- wanted to incorporate the trend into their look but didn't feel comfortable being too overt about it, the best recommendation I can make is getting a skull scarf. McQueen's skull scarves are worn by everyone -- from the preppiest teenage starlet to the mature Hollywood mom (grandmom) -- so there's no reason you can't emulate the look at any age.

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm personally a big fan of spikesanddiamonds blog. Thanks for sharing this post.
    clipping path
    clipping path service

    ReplyDelete